The History of Troop 220
- Troop 220 was chartered in 1937
- We are proudly sponsored by Lee's Summit Christian Church
- We are part of the Three Trails District in the Heart of America Council
- Troop 220 is based in the central Lee's Summit 291 corridor, with scouts from all over Lee's Summit and even other neighboring areas
- We meet at 7:30 every Monday (with rare exceptions) year-round.
- Lee's Summit Christian Church is located at 800 NE Tudor Road, Lee's Summit, MO
- We currently have over 60 registered Scouts in our boy troop.
- We have over 40 registered adult leaders
- We have had over 350 young men who have earned the rank of Eagle Scout
- We camp every monthly, year-round
- We attend H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation for 10 days every summer
- We offer High Adventure treks every year
- We participate in the Order of the Arrow and the Tribe of Mic-O-Say
- We participate in the district camporees and the winter Klondike which gives boys a chance to interact with scouts from other troops
Troop meetings are a part of scouting where skill instruction is taught, and patrols have time to work together to accomplish any tasks they need to get done.
They begin promptly at 7:30 pm and will run until approximately 8:45 pm. If you're early, you're on time; if you're on time, then you're late."
It is important to arrive before the meeting is set to start to help prepare the meeting room and be ready to begin at the start time. Arriving late may cause you to miss out on important information, and the whole troop should help get ready. Plus it is a perfect time to talk to someone if you need something.
7:30 pm - Opening (flag ceremony, opening prayer)
7:33 pm - Roll Call Attendance
7:35 pm - Announcements
7:45 pm - Patrol Meetings
8:00 pm - Skill Instruction/Presentation
8:20 pm - Game/Activity
8:40 pm - Cleanup
8:45 pm - Circle up announcements and closing program
9:00 pm - Post meeting
9:15 pm - Church closed, everyone goes home
Uniform wear and activity are based on the week of the month. PLC members will meet from 7:00 pm - 7:20 on the 1st and 3rd weeks. PLC members are given a schedule of their meetings and any changes that might occur during their term.
- Week 1: Class A night. If there are any investitures to be conducted, they will occur this week immediately at 7:30 pm with the full meeting beginning afterward.
- Week 2: Class B night. The program for this night might include a more active game.
- Week 3: Class B night. Monthly Board of Review night for scouts who have arranged to have one conducted for their next rank.
- Week 4 and 5: Class A night. The program for this night might include a more active game.
Looking at scouting like a sport: the troop meetings are like practice/rehearsal, and the campouts are like game days/tournaments/competitions. It is important that scouts attend as much as they can.
Scouting is not about earning the Eagle Rank, it's about becoming a better leader in society. As you see in the rank advancement requirements, there are quite a few notes on attending activities. So not only to progress in being a better leader do you have to attend meetings frequently, but you also have to attend in order to advance in rank.